- Adam Sandler gets serious in sci-fi flick Spaceman
- Sat, 02 Mar 2024 04:00:00 EST
Although Johan Renck's new film revolves around a Czech astronaut venturing into mysterious purple space dust, the director says what drew him to the script was the main character’s relation to his own life. Spaceman is streaming on Netflix.
- Dune: Part Two is a wild, violent masterpiece that changes the plot
- Fri, 01 Mar 2024 04:00:00 EST
Dune: Part Two is a towering achievement of artistic vision, clearly crafted by a director with both a deep love for the source material and mastery over his craft. The only problem is, like the first, the only way to accomplish that was to make what is not really even a movie.
- Oprah Winfrey's departure from WeightWatchers sends stock tumbling
- Thu, 29 Feb 2024 15:07:39 EST
Former talk show host Oprah Winfrey is leaving the WeightWatchers board of directors and donating her stock in the weight management firm, the company said Thursday, sending its stock tumbling in early trading.
- How Ron Sexsmith ended up singing with Leonard Cohen in an Indigo basement
- Thu, 29 Feb 2024 07:00:05 EST
Ron Sexsmith speaks about turning 60, playing Massey Hall over the years and some of the music icons he has worked with over his storied career.
- Final Fantasy VII Rebirth is a glorious, messy retelling of one of gaming's greatest stories
- Thu, 29 Feb 2024 04:00:00 EST
The second installment of the ambitious remake project is a charming love letter to fans of the original — when it doesn't get in the way of its own storytelling.
- Comedian, Curb your Enthusiasm star Richard Lewis dead at 76
- Wed, 28 Feb 2024 16:11:12 EST
Richard Lewis, a comedian known for his neurotic, stream-of-consciousness act and Curb Your Enthusiasm role, has died at 76.
- Director of cult classic My Bloody Valentine says Hamilton is 'just so beautifully apocalyptic'
- Wed, 28 Feb 2024 11:14:03 EST
As Hamilton's Playhouse Cinema prepares a Wednesday night screening of his 1981 Canadian cult-classic slasher My Bloody Valentine, director George Mihalka and local special effects artists Brian Rowe and Desirée Van De Laar talked with CBC Hamilton to peel back the bloody curtain on the city's horror movie scene.
- Mirian Njoh is bringing romance to Canada Reads with Carley Fortune's Meet Me at the Lake
- Thu, 11 Jan 2024 09:30:00 EST
The fashion influencer will be the first to champion a romance book on Canada Reads. The great Canadian book debate will air March 4-7.
- Self-tapes are Hollywood's new normal for auditions. Not everyone is happy
- Tue, 27 Feb 2024 04:00:00 EST
As the COVID-19 pandemic shuttered casting studios, the film industry shifted almost entirely from in-person auditions to actors submitting recordings of themselves to casting directors, a process known as self-taping. While it offers a number of benefits, performers say it also introduces a host of challenges.
- Two men convicted in killing of Run-DMC's Jam Master Jay
- Tue, 27 Feb 2024 17:05:23 EST
Karl Jordan Jr. and Ronald Washington were convicted of murder Tuesday in the death of Run-DMC star Jam Master Jay, a brazen 2002 shooting in the rap legend's studio.
- Cineplex has made nearly $40M from online ticket fees at heart of drip-pricing lawsuit
- Tue, 27 Feb 2024 11:57:16 EST
Cineplex Inc. has made almost $40 million from online booking fees, which are central to a competition bureau lawsuit against the Canadian cinema chain.
- Canadian actor Kenneth Mitchell, who continued working after ALS diagnosis, dead at 49
- Mon, 26 Feb 2024 07:14:12 EST
Toronto actor Kenneth Mitchell of Star Trek: Discovery and Captain Marvel who found consistent work in television and film, even after a 2018 diagnosis of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), has died. He was 49.
- Quebec director Monia Chokri wins César award for best foreign film
- Sat, 24 Feb 2024 10:10:47 EST
The Quebec romantic comedy-drama, Simple Comme Sylvain (The Nature of Love), beat Christoper Nolan's Oppenheimer.
- 6 first-time Juno nominees that you need to know
- Mon, 26 Feb 2024 12:23:01 EST
Meet the newcomers shaping the future of Canadian music.
- Oppenheimer picks up momentum at SAG Awards as Oscars draw near
- Sun, 25 Feb 2024 11:01:15 EST
Oppenheimer continued to steamroll through Hollywood's awards season on Saturday, winning the top prize, for outstanding cast, along with awards for Cillian Murphy and Robert Downey Jr., at the 30th Screen Actors Guild Awards.
- Debut feature from B.C. filmmaker looks at Japanese Canadian stories
- Sun, 25 Feb 2024 10:00:28 EST
As Meredith Hama-Brown’s debut feature film Seagrass made waves during its festival run last fall, the Vancouver writer-director says she heard from many Japanese Canadians who thanked her for exploring a side of their experience rarely depicted on screen.
- Canadian indie Suze gives one of Hollywood's most underrated actresses the role she deserves
- Sat, 24 Feb 2024 04:00:00 EST
Instead of spending too much time grasping for a new take on how moms and daughters just need to be nicer to each other, the Canadian dramedy Suze grows into a much funnier movie about finding friends in odd places.
- Halifax lawyer to receive Juno for decades of helping others achieve stardom
- Sun, 25 Feb 2024 05:00:00 EST
A Halifax lawyer who has played a pivotal behind-the-scenes role in the careers of musicians such as Sloan, Feist, The Rankin Family and Alvvays will be front and centre at next month's Juno Awards in Halifax when he receives a special achievement award.
- Does Netflix's Avatar prove that good live-action adaptations are impossible?
- Fri, 23 Feb 2024 04:00:00 EST
The live-action adaptation of Avatar: The Last Airbender hit Netflix this week after years of anticipation and critical attention from passionate fans. Though not an anime itself, the reception Avatar received raises the question of how adaptations like it can possibly live up to expectations.