- Canadian-founded Rumble rejects British government request on Russell Brand content
- Thu, 21 Sep 2023 10:32:51 EDT
Rumble, Canadian-founded video platform that has gained currency among right-wing pundits and websites, is rejecting a request from a British parliamentary committee to stop comedian Russell Brand from being able to monetize his content there as sexual assault allegations are being investigated.
- Mass journalism layoffs don't just mean a gap in news coverage. Experts worry they'll hurt democracy too
- Wed, 20 Sep 2023 04:00:00 EDT
Metroland has laid off hundreds of people including dozens of journalists who covered local issues. Experts say less eyes and ears on the ground means residents may not get the accurate information they need.
- Watch every performance from the 2023 Polaris Music Prize
- Wed, 20 Sep 2023 13:15:31 EDT
7 of the nominees performed songs from their shortlisted albums, including Aysanabee, Dan Mangan, Debby Friday and more.
- John Vaillant and Christina Sharpe among finalists for $75K Hilary Weston Writers' Trust Prize for Nonfiction
- Wed, 20 Sep 2023 12:32:36 EDT
Five writers shortlisted for literary prize which annually celebrates the best in Canadian nonfiction.
- As TIFF struggled with strikes, its stars searched for what to say
- Tue, 19 Sep 2023 04:00:00 EDT
The Toronto International Film Festival grappled with ongoing strikes this year, hamstringing its ability to capitalize on star power. And for the celebrities who did attend, promoting a movie while toeing the union line was an exercise in acumen.
- Why this school board is removing thousands of books
- Tue, 19 Sep 2023 15:52:00 EDT
Thousands of books at school libraries in a district near Toronto have been removed as part of a new weeding process intended to ensure library books are inclusive. But the practice appears to have led some schools to remove titles solely because they were published in 2008 or earlier.
- Everything you need to know about the 2023 Polaris Music Prize
- Tue, 19 Sep 2023 06:00:00 EDT
From details on the contenders to how to watch and listen to highlights from the gala, we’ve got you covered.
- New animated film gives Lorne Cardinal another chance to use his voice for Indigenous actors
- Wed, 20 Sep 2023 09:00:00 EDT
Cree actor Lorne Cardinal has long worked to change how Indigenous people are portrayed on the screen and stage, using his considerable charisma to raise awareness about casting characters who are central to a storyline.
- Laurier's music faculty wants to help young musicians impacted by cancelled K-W Symphony season
- Wed, 20 Sep 2023 07:02:00 EDT
Wilfrid Laurier University's faculty of music says they are looking at ways they can support youth impacted by the cancellation of the K-W Symphony's upcoming season. The symphony cited financial challenges as the reason behind cancelling the season just days before it was to get started.
- A Windsor artist is creating a flower guidebook for Ojibway Park — but it'll take a while
- Tue, 19 Sep 2023 04:00:00 EDT
A field guidebook is in the works to highlight flower plants in the Ojibway Park area. Windsor, Ont., artist Sarah Smitherman is using watercolour ink to illustrate the flora — and envisions it being a pocket size book when it eventually comes out.
- #TheMoment Indigenous dancers got to feel like pop stars
- Mon, 18 Sep 2023 23:14:00 EDT
Blending traditional dance and alternative rock, Indigenous Jingle Dress Dancers felt the energy of the crowd when they performed with the X Ambassadors at the Wake the Giant Music Festival in Thunder Bay, Ont.
- Russell Brand blocked from making money off YouTube
- Tue, 19 Sep 2023 09:21:39 EDT
YouTube said Tuesday that Russell Brand will no longer make money from the video streaming site after several women made allegations of sexual assault against the comedian-turned-influencer.
- Comedian Bill Maher postpones Real Time show return as writer talks resume
- Mon, 18 Sep 2023 18:04:10 EDT
American comedian Bill Maher said Monday he was postponing the return of his HBO political show Real Time, becoming the second talk show host to reverse plans after an outcry from striking Hollywood writers and actors.
- 'We don't want it to sound like 40 years ago': Mick Jagger on the Rolling Stones' new album
- Mon, 18 Sep 2023 04:00:00 EDT
The Rolling Stones are back with Hackney Diamonds, the band’s first album of original material in 18 years. In a Canadian exclusive interview with Q’s Tom Power, frontman Mick Jagger discusses the record, the changing music industry and losing drummer Charlie Watts.
- Comedian Russell Brand's gigs postponed, police probe complaint after sex assault allegations
- Mon, 18 Sep 2023 15:27:53 EDT
British police said Monday that they had received a sexual assault allegation after media outlets published claims by several women against comedian and actor Russell Brand. Promoters postponed the remaining dates in a string of live gigs by Brand, who denies the allegations.
- In Bones of Crows, Grace Dove found healing among the heaviness
- Sat, 10 Jun 2023 04:00:00 EDT
Actor Grace Dove plays the role of Aline Spears in the new film Bones of Crows. It follows a Cree woman's journey from her childhood to old age as she navigates trauma from her time in the residential school system.
- Drew Barrymore won't air her show until strikes are over, apologizes after backlash
- Sun, 17 Sep 2023 12:30:06 EDT
Talk show host Drew Barrymore extended her "deepest apologies" and said she would hold off on airing the new season of her show amid backlash for taping during ongoing strikes by writers and actors in the U.S.
- Country artists Jade Eagleson and Tenille Townes toast of CCMA Awards with 3 wins each
- Sun, 17 Sep 2023 12:35:52 EDT
The Canadian Country Music Awards took place at the FirstOntario Centre in Hamilton, Ont., on Saturday, where Burlington's Josh Ross took home the Breakthrough Artist of the Year award.